Good Shepherd Lutheran Church was founded in 1947 by the Northwest District of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod who decided that there was a great need for a new mission in the southwest area of Portland. Our first worship services were held at the Capitol Hill Club House in 1948 by Pastor Richard Aumann, who was serving as pastor in Vanport City. Following a flood which destroyed Vanport, Pastor Aumann became our first pastor. In 1949 property on Alice St. near Barbur Blvd. was purchased for a new church building and by the fall of 1949 construction began. The small church building was dedicated in November 1950. During Pastor Aumann's 10 year ministry the church began to grow significantly.
In 1955 Pastor Simon Maier became our second pastor. During his ministry it became necessary to hold two worship services in the small church, and a new building program was begun. Soon plans were drafted, ground was broken and the cornerstone was laid in September 1958. Our current worship facility was dedicated in April 1959. Good Shepherd has had an eye to serve in the community, and under Pastor Maier the church participated in the ongoing Veteran's Wheelchair Ministry at the Veteran's Hospital as other community outreach programs.
In 1961 Pastor Nathan Loesch became our pastor. Under his leadership Good Shepherd sent its first overseas missionaries to serve at the Lutheran Hospital in Eket, Nigeria. Good Shepherd continued its trend of growth under Pastor Loesch, but in 1966 he left to join the chaplain corps of the US Navy.
In 1967 Pastor Ted Kriefall became our pastor, and under his leadership Bible study attendance greatly increased. He was instrumental in introducing the Bethel Series to the church. It was also under Pastor Kriefall that Good Shepherd began to take vicars (third year seminary students) to assist in their training to become pastors. In 1971 the Westside School for the Retarded began holding classes in our old church building (currently known as the Annex) to meet the needs of students with developmental disabilities. This school would continue to make use of the facility for the next three years.
Pastor Arnold Stroschein became our fourth pastor in 1975. During his years of ministry two men from the congregation became pastors themselves, Richard Flath and Dennis Gano.
Our fifth pastor, Pastor James Haugen, was installed in 1982. Under Pastor Haugen's guidance and in keeping with Good Shepherd's belief in the value of early Christian education, Little Lambs Preschool was begun in September 1988, meeting in the Annex where it continues to be to this day. During these years, Good Shepherd became involved in Stephen Ministry, a caring ministry utilizing the gifts and talents of the people of the congregation.
Our sixth pastor, Pastor Glenn Zander was installed in July 1992. Under his leadership Good Shepherd made a move to use more contemporary worship forms in its Sunday worship services. In 1998 the Korean Hope Church of Oregon began to rent space for their regular worship until they were able to find space of their own. In 1998 James Haugen, Jr. was ordained to become a pastor.
Pastor Paul Frerichs was installed in 2003. Under his years of ministry there has been a resurgence in the study of God's Word. In 2005 Pastor Frerichs was admitted into the Pastoral Leadership Institute, providing post-graduate leadership training to pastors and encouragement to churches to further connect people to Jesus.
In August of 2012 Rev. Dr. Terry Merrill became the interim Pastor to Good Shepherd. Pastor Merrill served for the next two years.
In June of 2014, Pastor Harry Stratton and Pastor Tim Van Natta began serving the congregation. They are presently serving the people of Good Shepherd.